WATCH TRAILER | 2004 | Producer --This feature film is a romantic comedy based on a true story and sold-out play that took audiences and critics by storm. Written by and co-starring Robin Greenspan and Lacie Harmon, this hilarious and poignant feature film is directed by award-winning director, Lee Friedlander. Girl Play had a World Premiere at Outfest Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in July 2004, took home two major awards and has since won numerous awards at film festivals around the World. Wolfe Releasing acquired U.S. theatrical and dvd rights and Viacom owned LOGO Network acquired the US cable rights. International rights have been sold in all major film markets. The film has screened at film festivals around the World, had a theatrical release, is available on DVD and continues to air on LOGO Network. Principal cast includes: Robin Greenspan, Lacie Harmon, Mink Stole, Dom DeLuise, Katherine Randolph, Lauren Maher and Gina DeVivo.
For more information, go to www.girlplaymovie.com.
- Outfest Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Film Festival - World Premiere!
- Southwest Gay and Lesbian Film Festival (New Mexico)
- Image Nation Queer Film Festival (Montreal)
- Fresno Reel Pride Film Fstival (Fresno, California)
- Tampa International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival
- Hamburg Lesbian and Gay Film Festival (Germany)
- Image Out Gay and Lesbian Film Festival (Rochester, New York)
- Reel Affirmations (Washington, DC)
- Barcelona International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival (Spain)
- Outrageous Santa Barbara Lesbian and Gay Film Festival
- St. Louis International Film Festival
- Out Takes Dallas
- Out on Film (Atlanta, Georgia)
- Verzaubert International Queer Film Festival (Berlin, Germany)
- Santa Fe Film Festival
- Reel Pride Michigan
- Istanbul Gay and Lesbian Film Festival
- Mardi Gras Film Festival (Australia)
- Melbourne Queer Film Festival
- Wingspan Film Festival (Tucson, Arizona)
- Out-In-Africa Film Festival
- One In Ten Film Festival (Pennsylvania)
- London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival
- Bimovie 11 (Munich)
- Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival
- Far Out Fest (Santa Cruz)
- Boston Gay & Lesbian Film/Video Festival
- Inside Out Toronto Lesbian & Gay Film Festival
- Fort Worth Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- Out Takes Gay & Lesbian Film Festival (New Zealand)
- Freiburger Lesbenfilmtage (Germany)
- Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival
- Oslo Gay & Lesbian Film Festival (Norway)
- Philadelphia Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- North Carolina Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- Out Far Film Fest (Phoenix)
- Pikes Peak Lavender Film Festival (Colorado)
- Houston Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- Queer As Film (Boise, Idaho)
- Pittsburgh International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival
- Paris Fem & Lesbian Film Festival
- Pride Western Australia Film Festival
- Indianapolis Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- Reel Pride Film Festival (Winnipeg)
- Immaginaria International Lesbian Film Festival
- Lesbian Festival (Amsterdam)
- Brussels Gay & Lesbian Film Festival
- Rehoboth Beach Film Society
- Tokyo International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival
Loved it! It's clever and original.
- Nancy Rosenblum, Lesbian News Magazine
Robin Greenspan and Lacie Harmon are exceedingly likable, smart and funny performers. The two actresses and stand-up comics melded their one-woman shows into a play, "Real Girls," which relates the beginning of their real-life love story. Now director Lee Friedlander has translated the material into a small-scale but winning comedy for the big screen. Full of insights on love and sex - which have more resonance for lesbians but pack a universal punch.
- Sheri Linden, The Hollywood Reporter
Girl Play is a little movie about lesbian love that fulfills its mission with charm to spare.
- Anne Stockwell, The Advocate
The characterizations are realistic and honest. An admirable film.
- Ned Martel, The New York Times
The writing is sharply funny and surprisingly touching at moments. Its engaging rhythms are more than enough to satisfy a taste for something light and sweet.
- C.O., The Miami Herald
Good gay-girl date movies are few and far between, which is one more reason - on top of the fact that it's funny, smart and pretty sexy - to pounce on this cleverly written romantic comedy about female friends who toy with love while rehearsing for a play.
- Ken Fox, TV Guide
The uncannily realistic flashbacks, intelligent and insightful screenplay and exceedingly captivating performances by Greenspan and Harmon make Girl Play both one of the funniest and most poignant lesbian films to come along in years.
- Jenny Stewart, Planet Out
Finally a story about lesbians that is sexy, funny, smart and true!! Destined to break the chain of mediocre gay girl flicks we've been subjected to for years.
- Suzanne Westenhoefer
I really enjoyed the movie. It was well written, funny, insightful and well acted. Fantastic! I also related very strongly to the characters and their struggles.
- Cid Isbell, Queer Ramblings
The lead acting performances are captivating, the screenplay brilliant, and the direction taut and engaging. Refreshingly original, intelligent and funny, Girl Play is, without doubt, one of the best lesbian feature films to hit the screen in years.
- Amy Schwartz, Image Out Gay and Lesbian Film Festival
Girl Play hits the jackpot.
- Donald Munroe, The Fresno Bee
Girl Play is a funny, sexy film that is sure to get a lot of play in the lesbian community. It is so refreshing to see lesbians living, lesbians loving, lesbians having conflict and not one of those is whether they should be lesbians or not.
- Diane F. Germain, Lavender Lens
Lee Friedlander is the most underrated director in Hollywood. Girl Play is vivacious, sexy, clever and neurotic. Add that all up and the film offers one of the best 80 minutes you could spend with a crowd this year!
- Diane Anderson- Minshall, Curve Magazine
Whether you're gay or straight, man or woman, everyone can relate to the lives and loves of these characters. A must see!
- David Stern, Publisher, IN Magazine
Although the film deals with lesbian relationships, its appeal is universal. And with its frequent references to same-sex marriage, Girl Play couldn't be more timely.
- Calvin Wilson, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Whether the sharp-tongued analysis is aimed at love, monogamy, drinking, dating, arguing, parents or analysis itself, the intelligent handling of modern romance is a pleasure and a revelation. It's a smart look at what's high and low in each of us and a vanguard film providing that the lens of difference is one of the best ways to get a good look at our commonalities.
- Santa Fe Reporter